Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Growing Older


For the past few weeks I have had a lots of thoughts about this aging thing, these “golden years”.
I realize how fortunate I am to have lived a fairly healthy life up to this point. I feel guilty when I complain about the aches and pains of aging and admit, even to myself, that I really don’t have it so bad.
Yet, despite my gratitude for all my blessings, I do get impatient when I have to depend on others to do simple things that I have always done for myself. It often seems that they “will get to it” or it’s “just a minute, Grammie” and I find waiting patiently is just difficult.
Today I had to smile at the memory of my youngest grandchild’s frustration when he had to wait (not so patiently) for someone to read some directions for him. I still hear him say “I’ll be glad when I can read and don’t have to depend on you people”.
I smile at the circle of life.
Psalm 92:12 King James Version (KJV)
12 The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon.
I smile when I remember childhood days of laughter and very little responsibility outside of homework and a few chores and being impatient to grow up.
I smile at the memory of a large and noisy family.
I smile when I remember being devastated by unrequited infatuation.
I smile when I remember the unbelievable joy of holding the child that I had been told could never be.
I smile at the picture of me surrounded by grandchildren.
Life has been good and fulfilling in so many ways. My life has had the resiliency of the palm to weather storms in bad times and the strength of the cedar when needed to comfort the ones I love; and I know that these gifts come from God.
I smile when I remember that I am just as much a child of God today as I was when I was indeed a child and that my Heavenly Father knows my heart just as much now as ever.
I smile because I know that He knows that in my heart I appreciate all that He is and has been and that His child, though far from perfect, is still a child who loves the Lord.
I know that these “golden years” will require lots of patience so I pray for ways to be of service because I know that giving of myself is the best way to get out of my own way and enjoy the wonderful life I have been given.
Psalm 92:13-15                                                                            13 Those that be planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God.  
14 They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing;
15 To shew that the Lord is upright: he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him.
I thank God for the gift of long life. I pray for opportunities to be a light to someone and to help others find joy in a relationship with Our Father. I thank the Holy Spirit for the gentle reprimand and reminder of all of my blessings and His continued love.
I pray that you find joy in all of the steps on the cycle of life.
May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment