Friday, February 26, 2010

The Power of God

The Power of God


Joshua 6:1-5 (New International Version)

1 Now Jericho was tightly shut up because of the Israelites. No one went out and no one came in.
2 Then the LORD said to Joshua, "See, I have delivered Jericho into your hands, along with its king and its fighting men.
3 March around the city once with all the armed men. Do this for six days.
4 Have seven priests carry trumpets of rams' horns in front of the ark. On the seventh day, march around the city seven times, with the priests blowing the trumpets.
5 When you hear them sound a long blast on the trumpets, have all the people give a loud shout; then the wall of the city will collapse and the people will go up, every man straight in."

Many of us when we pray are actually giving God instructions about what we want Him to do in our lives and, sometimes, explicitly how we expect Him to do it. It is difficult sometimes to sincerely pray “Thou will be done”.

I recently had a serious plumbing problem that made it difficult to live in the house. I put the plumbing problem at the top of my prayer list because it was a very stressful issue.

As I waited for an answer from God about the way I was going to address a $3,000 estimate I had received, I fantasized about the ways He could address the problem.

I envisioned someone calling me with a job that would earn me the needed funds and I started to look for an opportunity to do some consulting/training work.

Suddenly the problem got worse, not better.

I asked God, simply, please fix this for me. I then called a handyman service that I hadn’t even been especially pleased with in the past because they were the ones who could get there quickest.

They solved my plumbing problem for a total cost of $125 and a little effort on my part.

Today I was studying about ministering to children and was led to a study about Jericho. I smiled inwardly when I thought about my puny plumbing problem when compared to the wonders God performed at Jericho.

Many of us at our church speak of the fact that we are “works in progress”. I know that my prayer life is a work in progress and I strive continuously to pray “Thou will be done”.

May God be a blessing in your life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment