Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Daily Pleasures, Freely Given

Psalm 19 (New International Version)
For the director of music. A psalm of David.
1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge.
3 There is no speech or language
where their voice is not heard.
4 Their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens he has pitched a tent for the sun,
5 which is like a bridegroom coming forth from his pavilion,
like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
6 It rises at one end of the heavens
and makes its circuit to the other;
nothing is hidden from its heat.

Are you one of the fortunate ones who can truly enjoy the majesty of a perfect sunset? When you look into the skies do you appreciate the wonder of the order of the heavens? I live on the west coast where sunsets are a daily gift from God and I say “Thank You, Lord!!!”

I am not a poet but the words of the Psalms are often the songs of my heart. This one of those times.

7 The law of the LORD is perfect,
reviving the soul.
The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy,
making wise the simple.
8 The precepts of the LORD are right,
giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the LORD are radiant,
giving light to the eyes.
9 The fear of the LORD is pure,
enduring forever.
The ordinances of the LORD are sure
and altogether righteous.
10 They are more precious than gold,
than much pure gold;
they are sweeter than honey,
than honey from the comb.

Many times we see laws and rules as prohibiting. We must keep our speed within limits to minimize the damage we do to ourselves and others in case of accident, we must stop at lights so that there is order in traffic, we must honor the rights of others in many ways.
11 By them is your servant warned;
in keeping them there is great reward.
12 Who can discern his errors?
Forgive my hidden faults.

When we obey the Laws of God we afford ourselves a sweet peace. We start to understand the meaning of John’s words “4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.
6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4: 4-7(New International Version)


I acknowledge my absolute need of the help of the Holy Sirit in my daily life to keep me from sin. I acknowledge the ease with which I can slip into some unseemly thoughts even though I’ve gotten much better at controlling unseeming behavior.
I must daily pray:
13 Keep your servant also from willful sins;
may they not rule over me.
Then will I be blameless,
innocent of great transgression.

14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Check out a sunrise or sunset on whatever horizon God has given you. Enjoy the majesty of Our Lord in the daily pleasures that are freely given.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment