Friday, October 22, 2010

Glad to be in the service

Glad to be in the service, Glad to be in the service,
Glad to be in the service one more time
He didn't have to let me live,
He didn't have to let me live,
Live to be in the service one more time

I'm glad to be in the service, I'm glad to be in the service
He's blessed me with my health, and then He's blessed me with my strength
And I'm glad to be in the service one more time.

Matthew 4:11 (New International Version)
11Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.

I read a marvelous article by Ann Mary Clement which stated : “Jesus uses the verb ‘to serve’’ diakonein’ to identify his mission, and to describe what he expects of his followers (Lk 12.37, 17:X, 22:26-27). In his life he served many people but besides Jesus only angels and women are listed as the subject to this verb, and angels and women minister to Jesus himself (Mk 1:13: Lk 22.43, 8:3; Mt 8:15)” http://www.womenpriests.org/scriptur/clement.asp

And I thought, WOW. I am truly glad to be in the service, glad to be subject of the verb diakonein.
Luke 8:3 NIV
1After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him,
2and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out;
3Joanna the wife of Cuza, the manager of Herod's household; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means.

I am so happy to be one in service of Our Lord. I am happy to be counted as one of those who “thought it not robbery” to be subject to the Great Commission.

I’m not a theologian so I do not argue the author’s point of view but I do appreciate her statements. I do believe it is important for women to seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit as they read the Word of God. I believe it is important for women to seek out several points of view so that they can truly become discerning disciples of God.

Matt 8:14 When Jesus came into Peter's house, he saw Peter's mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever. 15He touched her hand and the fever left her, and she got up and began to wait on him.

So many of us have allowed ourselves to be beaten down by words of discouragement. So many of us have discounted the value of the services we provide.
Mark 15:40-41 (New International Version)40Some women were watching from a distance. Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joses, and Salome.
41In Galilee these women had followed him and cared for his needs. Many other women who had come up with him to Jerusalem were also there.

Be “Glad to Be in the Service“. Be happy to be counted among those who serve our Lord.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment