Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The LIVING Bible

Acts 17:11 (New International Version, ©2010)
11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

I wish to share with you freely a gift given to me as a child by my father. That gift is knowledge of the importance of history in attaining the fullness of life.
My dad insisted that I study history, all sorts of history, in many forms. He did not insist that I place special importance to the bible, but he did include it in the important history to be studied. My dad’s intent was to prepare a girl child to function in a world that had a certain amount of built in hostility and disdain. He understood that knowledge of my life in an historical context would help me to “not take it personally” and also to have examples of people who “triumphed despite of” or “made a difference”. These were important concepts for my dad and were enough for me at the time. I now know that God’s intent was to prepare me to be useful in His Kingdom and I find this early training to have a greater meaning in my life.
Now, with eyes opened by the Holy Spirit, I find myself understanding why God planted that seed those many years ago.

Whenever we are studying a particular portion of scripture in Sunday School, in bible study or scheduled church service an important part of that study is the time and historical context of the people involved. It is so much easier to understand the writings of Paul, for example, when you know his background, have a general understanding of his early training as a rabbi, remember his time spent under the discipline of the military, and understand his status as a cosmopolitan man of his times.
When other names just pop up in the bible it is good to look for historical references to understand that these are real people who made real choices for good or for evil.
Right now we happen to be studying the works of two very different men of the bible, Isaiah and James.
Isaiah 48:8-11 (English Standard Version)
8You have never heard, you have never known,
from of old your ear has not been opened.
For I knew that you would surely deal treacherously,
and that from before birth you were called a rebel.
9 "For my name’s sake I defer my anger,
for the sake of my praise I restrain it for you,
that I may not cut you off.
10Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver;
I have tried you in the furnace of affliction.
11 For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it,
for how should my name be profaned?
My glory I will not give to another.

As I study the life and times of these two very influential men of the bible I say “wow”. I can picture Isaiah, the priest, coming into understanding, while performing his duties, of the futility of sacrifice without repentance. I can visualize his frustration with a people whom he loved who “just couldn’t get it” despite marvelous revelations from God.
John 7:3-5 (New King James Version)
3 His brothers therefore said to Him, “Depart from here and go into Judea, that Your disciples also may see the works that You are doing. 4 For no one does anything in secret while he himself seeks to be known openly. If You do these things, show Yourself to the world.” 5 For even His brothers did not believe in Him.

Imagine discovering the God was your big brother. Imagine trying to figure out “how on earth did I miss this?”
These small bits of history help me to be patient with myself when I “just don’t get it” the first, second or more times. These small pieces of biblical history encourage and give me hope.
Acts 17:11 (New International Version, ©2010)
11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

Please note that Paul commended the Berean Jews for not only receiving the message, but examining them every day to see if what Paul said was true.

It is up to each of us to prayerfully find a way to make this a Living Word for us.

I pray for all of us that we continue in the Word until understanding is revealed. I pray for all of us that we find some way to share the Word with a dying world. I pray our strength in the LORD as we seek wisdom and understanding. Amen

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment