Thursday, January 13, 2011

Out of the Mouth of Babes

Matthew 11:25-26 (New King James Version)
25 At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes.
26 Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight.

Your children (and grandchildren) have the terrible habit of letting you know at the most inopportune times that they have heard the lessons you have spent a lifetime trying to impart.
This is usually done when you have missed the mark even a little. Some examples that come to mind quickly this morning was the time my daughter, with a tad of disdain, questioned my faith since I seemed to be a bit too caught up in worry for her comfort; and my granddaughter’s quip this morning about “life and death being in the tongue” when I said something she wasn’t quite ready to hear.
Many times these partially quoted passages serve to remind us of how careful we must be in the company of those who expect us to not only teach the Word, but to Live the Word. But they also serve to encourage us to continue to impart the Word, because they do, indeed, hear and absorb.
Proverbs 22:6 (New King James Version) 6 Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it.

I believe that our Christian work with our own children is our first logical step in the Great Commission. I accept that it is my responsibility to try to find ways that they can see and hear the Christian life.
Many times I get discouraged. The times when you can’t drag them to church, the times when eyes get glazed over with the smallest mention of God and the bible are difficult times, indeed.
But I take strength from the support of a praying church. I take strength from the fact that I know that without fail at least two times every week the souls and spiritual health of my loved ones are lifted up in prayer.
Psalm 8:2 (New King James Version)
2 Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants
You have ordained strength,
Because of Your enemies,
That You may silence the enemy and the avenger.

I realize that God doesn’t NEED my help in spreading the Word. I realize that it is my privilege and responsibility to do so.

I thank You, Lord, for Your Word. I thank You for planting me in an environment of support and nourishment where I can safely grow spiritually. I thank You for the gift of family. I ask that you enrich me with the right words to say at the right times and the wisdom to know when to be still. Amen.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment