Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Wonder of God

Ephesians 5:18-20 New King James Version (NKJV)18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, 20 giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,

Every morning is an opportunity to praise God anew. Sometimes it is a scripture that inspires, this morning it was a song.
How Great Thou Art
Lyrics ~ Carl Boberg, 1859 - 1940
English Translation ~ Stuart K. Hine, 1899 - 1989

Verse 1:
O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made.
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.
Refrain:
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee;
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee:
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
When a song touches my heart so profoundly I try to find out as much as I can about it's origins and history. This search often leads to a story of wondourous conversions and ministry experiences.

This was true for this song.
The original poem was written by a Swedish preacher by the name of Carl Boberg in 1885. One historian notes that at age 26 he was returning from a church service and was inspired by the awesome wonder of a sudden storm. He wrote the words of a poem entitled, “O Store Gud”, which translated into English is “O Great God”. Boberg’s poem was published in 1886. This poem was put to music without his knowledge and inspired the song we now know as How Great Thou Art.
Verse 2:
When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze:
(Repeat Refrain.)
This song has inspired people as diverse as Russian mountain villagers and Naga Tribespeople from Assam and American suburbanites. It is one of those songs that lends itself to humming when alone just enjoying the goodness that is God.

Verse 3:
And when I think that God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin:
(Repeat Refrain.)
The song, as we know it was published in 1959 by Manna Music from whom much of this information comes.
2 Peter 3:8-9New King James Version (NKJV)8 But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance

Verse 4:
When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, my God, how great Thou art!
(Repeat Refrain.)
One of the wonderful gifts of God is the ability to write words that have the ability to touch the heart of so many different people over such a long span of time.

I thank God for the privilege of speaking in psalms hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in myheart to the Lord. I thank God for making available to us so many songs of praise!

It is my prayer that when you hear the beauty of this and other songs of praise you will be able to see the glory that is God.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment