Thursday, January 12, 2012

On Being Good Ground

Romans 12:16 New International Version (NIV)16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

Many years ago I was scrubbing down one of the floors where children played at a community center in which I worked. My partner in this work was a retired physician who worked almost full time as a volunteer in three different community based programs.

While we worked I told her about another volunteer, a retired superintendent, for whom I was trying to find meaningful work at the center.

She asked what he wanted to do and I told her that had been my question. His answer had been “I'm a volunteer, I'm here to do what ever it is that you need.”

Even as a worldly person I was impressed with the genuine humility of these two people and their willingness to serve as needed children who were truly considered by society as “the least of these”.
Mark 10:45 New International Version (NIV)45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

I thanked God, even then, that he had given me also a willingness to serve; and smiled as we worked together mopping floors.

Today, I look at our Spiritual Leader and role model, Minister Johnson, and acknowledge that much of my admiration for her comes from the fact that she lives this Word she teaches. We almost have to put crazy glue in her seat to stop her from serving at every function.

Whenever her hands find work to do, including mopping, she is quick to go to work. There is a genuineness about her in all of this. There is no attempt to impress in her actions. She just is so willing to work for God.

Our topic this week was “The Sower” and our scripture was Mark 4:3-9
The Sower
Mark 4:14-20 New King James Version (NKJV)14 The sower sows the word.
15 And these are the ones by the wayside where the word is sown. When they hear, Satan comes immediately and takes away the word that was sown in their hearts.
16 These likewise are the ones sown on stony ground who, when they hear the word, immediately receive it with gladness;
17 and they have no root in themselves, and so endure only for a time. Afterward, when tribulation or persecution arises for the word’s sake, immediately they stumble.
18 Now these are the ones sown among thorns; they are the ones who hear the word,
19 and the cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things entering in choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.
20 But these are the ones sown on good ground, those who hear the word, accept it, and bear fruit: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred.”
As I reflected on this beautiful Word during the week I wondered how one becomes that “good ground”.

How do we avoid being vulnerable to the wiles of Satan who is always on his job and ready to pollute every good thing?

How do we clear out the stones which quickly rip away our joy and make us stumble away from the Word?

What do we do when the thorns and cares of the world threaten to overwhelm us and take our focus off the things of God?

As I prayerfully reviewed the lesson it became so clear!!!

When the focus is on serving in whatever way we are called, when the focus is on Him and His work and not on our own “stuff”, the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, tills and prepares us to receive Him and be fruitful. The Holy Spirit converts us into "Good Ground".

I am always grateful for wonderful spiritual leadership and the joy of being in His service. I pray you find just the right work for you in the Kingdom. I pray that we all become "Good Ground".

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment