Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Praising God, Again

Praising God, Again

I woke this morning, again, singing and praising God. After a while I paused to question my sanity. This is the morning after a very trying weekend, a long, trying weekend, yet I am truly in my heart praising God. Then I stopped to work on today’s message.

The message that came to me was on the subject of giving. After a second quick sanity check, I proceed.

Below is an excerpt on the spiritual aspect of giving, written by Mary Fairchild (see http://christianity.about.com/od/whatdoesthebiblesay/i/churchgiving_2.htm:

When my husband and I were looking for a good church, we observed that some churches seemed to always be asking for money and this concerned us. So when we found our current church home, one thing that really impressed us was that the church did not receive a formal offering during the service. The church does have offering boxes in the building, but members are not ever pressured to give. The only time money, tithing or giving are mentioned is when our pastor happens to be teaching through a section of Scripture that deals with these issues.

But please don't misunderstand! We love to give, because we have learned that we get blessed when we give to God. And although most of our giving goes to the church, we don't give to a church. We don't give to the pastor. We give our offerings to God alone. In fact, the Bible teaches us to give, for our own good and for our own blessing, from a cheerful heart.
But don't just take my word as proof that God wants us to give. Let's look at what the Bible says about giving.

First and foremost, God wants us to give because it shows that we recognize he is truly the Lord of our lives.
James 1:17
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. (NIV)
Everything we own, everything we have comes from God. So when we give, we simply offer him a very small portion of all the abundance he has already given to us. Giving is an expression of our thankfulness and praise to God! It comes from a heart of worship. For everything we give already belongs to him!
Background

God instructed Old Testament believers to give a tithe, or a tenth, because this 10% represented the first, or most important portion of all that they had. The New Testament does not suggest a certain percentage for giving, but simply says for each to give "in keeping with his income."

Believers should give according to their income.
1 Corinthians 16:2
On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made. (NIV)
Note that the offering was set aside on the first day of the week. When we are willing to offer the first portion of our wealth back to him, then God knows he has our hearts. He knows—and we also know—that we are submitted completely in trust and obedience to our Lord and Savior.
We are blessed when we give.
Acts 20:35
... remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' (NIV)
God wants us to give because he knows how blessed we will be as we give generously to him and to others. Giving is a kingdom principle; giving brings even more blessing to the giver than to the recipient.
When we give freely to God, we receive freely from God.
Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. (NIV)
Proverbs 11:24
One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. (NIV)
God promises that we will be blessed over and above that which we give and also according to the measure that we use to give. But if we hold back from giving with a stingy heart, we hinder God from blessing our lives.


2 Corinthians 9:7
Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. (NIV)

Bet you have heard that one before. It always sounded to me like something said to find the lint in the bottom of my pocket.

What amazes me now is how clearly God has placed in my heart the fact that my giving in no way should depend on anyone else. I don’t give to impress anyone. I don’t hold back in my giving because of someone else‘s supposed abuse or neglect.

I give very much in line with Paul’s teaching in 1 Corinthians 16:2
On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.

I put my pennies in an envelope on my first day of the week then bring it to church during regular service times.

Now, back to my singing and praising.

I have been cooking for a couple for the past week because she had to have a fourth surgery on her shoulder. I had enough food to offer without real sacrifice, I am perfectly able to cook, I have electricity and everything else I need and more. I am alive.

I have every reason to sing and praise God.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment