Saturday, March 20, 2010

Putting Together This Blog

I love to read. I am the kind of person who will read labels if nothing else with words is around. This means that I have read many good books and very, very many not so good.

I had a father who cultivated a love of history. He truly believed that we should have a sense of the triumphs and failures of the past so that we could have some sense of the future. His problem was to get a kid interested enough to read history. His solution was to encourage me to find novels about the period under study so that the time came alive for me.

It worked.

I was able to memorize the boring (and quickly forgotten) dates and generals and battles required to “pass” history exams. But I never forgot the feel of living in times past through the images of the characters in those books.

This style of study has transferred itself to my study of the Word. When I wake in the morning. I often turn on the computer and read sermons, websites, encyclopedia entries and blogs on subjects of interest and I have a special love of books written about biblical times or biblical subjects.

While this provides lots of opportunities for learning and growth it also leaves room for exposure to false teachings and down right heresies.

Matthew 7:15-20 (New International Version)
A Tree and Its Fruit
15"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

Very Simply I pray a lot. This is one of the perks of this ministry. I must pray a lot for guidance. Second, I claim no special knowledge or gift. My job, as I see it, is to offer a simple message for consideration.

I always hope that the message of the day will be uplifting and I probably avoid controversial subjects for fear of sanction. I always try to check out the Word on any subject presented and have trashed blogs I felt were interesting that had no basis in the bible. I give the reference for articles from which I pull extensive parts so that the reader can check them out.

I pray a lot.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment