Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Living History

The Nabonidus Cylinder from Sippar is a long text in which king Nabonidus of Babylonia (556-539 BC) describes how he repaired three temples: the sanctuary of the moon god Sin in Harran, the sanctuary of the warrior goddess Anunitu in Sippar, and the temple of Šamaš in Sippar. But it is almost certainly more significant because it proves the existence of a son named Belshezzar, who is mentioned in the Book of Daniel.


This morning I was looking at the bible in an historical context. Particularly, I was looking at historical support for the people in the book of Daniel.

I found several wonderful articles including one, complete with a picture of the Nabonidus Cylinder from Sippar. Which proves the existence of Belshezzar Book of Daniel chapters 5 and 8) .

It often happens that what I think I am writing about is far from the final product.

What actually came to be is the question of “how can we be so dense?

I had often wondered in the past how the children of Israel could be so dense. God performed miracle after miracle in their lives and they just couldn’t get it.
The plagues that just happened to miss their families, that 40 year trek through the desert, complete with miraculous provisions didn’t open their eyes. (talk about grace and mercy)

But what about us, today?

God not only gave us the history of His miracles with the children of the Old Testament, He gave us the history of His miracles in the New Testament. He gave us the history of the birth, life, death and resurrection of Christ Jesus and many of us still don’t get it.

He gave us resources with which to study His Word on our own, not being dependent on the word of any one person.

I don’t believe the Israelites saw themselves as living in the Old Testament. I don’t believe the early church fathers saw themselves as living in an historical context, but I do wonder how we will be portrayed in scriptural history.

Will generations to follow look back at us and wonder why we just didn’t get it?

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

I ask for prayer that I learn how to share some of the wonderful pictures that I find in my studies. Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment