Thursday, November 11, 2010

Christian Meditation

Christian Meditation
It has become my habit to meditate on God’s Word on a daily basis. I hesitate to use the term meditate because many Christians hold negative images about meditation. For them it brings up thoughts of “New Age Thinking” and Eastern religions.

I am old enough to have been caught up in the New Age Movement at a time in my life when I was searching for God in all the wrong places. I read the books, I listened to the tapes, I meditated.
I did experience the ability to focus on whatever was important to me at the time.
What I did not get was the true peace that comes from an established relationship with the Holy Spirit. I did not get direction for my life. I received no joy or understanding in the Word of God, as a matter of fact; I was hard pressed to read more than a few verses from the New Testament once in a rare while.

There was a severe restlessness in my spirit for many years and I couldn’t get a handle on the root cause.
1 Peter 2:9 (New International Version)
9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

How wonderful to know that it is not only good and Christian to meditate but that meditation is mandated by God.
Joshua 1:8 (New International Version)
8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
Psalm 1 (New International Version)
1 Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the LORD, and who meditates on his law day and night.

All About God, a Christian research site, states that the Bible mentions meditate or meditation 20 times. http://www.allaboutgod.com/christian-meditation.htm

Meditation is another gift that we have been given to open doors to a fulfilled Christian life. I am not willing to throw this great gift away. There are numerous writings on meditation for those who are interested but not sure where and how to start.
Hebrews 11:6 KJV "But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for He that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him."

Diligently seeking Him includes meditating on His Word.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment