Thursday, November 18, 2010

Only God Saves

Only God Saves
When we are given the chance to be a part of the lives of children and young adults, every day becomes an opportunity to honor one of the critical mandates of God, and that is to 6 Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6 (New King James Version)

My granddaughter got wonderful news last night. A wrong had been made right with extra blessings added. After a dance of gratitude she insisted that we pray a prayer of thanksgiving and acknowledge that only God could have produced these results.
When I woke up this morning I was filled with joy just from remembering this child of my heart and the comfortable way she has of communicating with God.
I remembered a day many years ago when she questioned me about prayer and what things could she ask in prayer. I explained that we could ask God, our Father, for anything and, like any good father, He would grant those wishes best for our lives.
We have talked many times over the years about prayer, both answered and unanswered, and I have watched her grow in her relationship with the Holy Spirit.

But this morning as I researched for this blog I was led to a very short posting from a woman, another mother/grandmother, who was in great pain. She described herself as a failure in bringing up her children and helping them on the road to Christ.
I thought about the years my spiritual mentor prayed for me when I was one of the “lost”. I thought about the times that I needed the support and counsel of my church family when I felt like a failure with my own family. I thought about our obligation to “pray without ceasing” but I also remembered the many examples of persons who were “saved” when their lives were so far from examples of piety (including mine).

I wish I could share with this mother the hard won understanding that only God saves. I wish I could help her remember Paul, who was on his way to persecute the Church when God snatched him up for service, in hopes that she would realize that nothing is impossible for God, including the salvation of her loved ones.
This woman asked that no one respond to her posting and I see only one brief response and that from one of her children.

I will honor her request but pray that someone will find comfort in the understanding that God does not command us to “save” our children. That is His job. He does command us to teach them and to provide an example through our lives.
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5 (New International Version)

I hope that this woman has a strong and supportive church family. I hope that she has found peace in her role as mother/grandmother .
2 Timothy 1:5 ESV
I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.

I pray for all mothers/grandmothers who are trying to serve as role models for their children.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment