Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Clearing Out the Clutter

Luke 16:13 ESV
No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.”

I once attended a meeting of a group called “Addicted to Christ”. As I got to know the group members I found that, although most had a history of addiction to some substance or of being in an enabling role, there were members who in no way fit the profile.

I asked how they came to be in the group and received this explanation. Anything that is important enough to you that you would let it come between you and your relationship with our Savior has to be an addiction. If not, how would you explain it?

Many times we look in a very narrow way at the person whose life is consumed in the pursuit of financial gain and go, ah ha, I don't do that. I don't place money above my love of God.

This narrow view allows us to avoid looking at the things we do allow to clutter our lives so much that there is no time for worship, no time for praise and only brief moments set aside for thanksgiving.
Exodus 20:4-6 (NIV)
 4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Many glibly say “He is the head of my life” and give God less than ten percent of anything they hold dear.

Is it time for spring cleaning. Is it time to assess the things that occupy our thoughts, our time and our resources. Is it time to look at the clutter in our lives and decide what matters not at all and remove it to the recycle bin?

This spring is a good opportunity to evaluate and assure that nothing comes between us and our relationship with God.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment