Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Book of Judges – Life Application – 2

Judges 6 (New King James Version)
Midianites Oppress Israel
1 Then the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD. So the LORD delivered them into the hand of Midian for seven years,

Today’s study of Judges is from the Life Application Study Bible which divided the period covered by the Book of Judges into six “periods” and gave brief biographies on each of the Judges. The focus of this study is, as the name states, Life Application of lessons learned.

This bible commentary spoke of the humanity of the Judges and the fact that God is able to use people who are as different as the warrior/deliver Gideon; the mediator/administrator, Tola; the providers of rest and peace, Ehud and Jair; the famous and powerful, Samson; national leaders Othniel and Deborah; unsung heroes, Elonm and Abdonm; local heroes, Shamgar and Ibzan; and, yes, even the rude, petty dictator, Jephthah.

These twelve very different people were used in very different ways to accomplish the will of God.

This, in application to our lives, should encourage us to know that God is able to use even the least of us to do his will. This application should also make us sensitive to the fact that the person who might be most influential in bringing us a message of hope and deliverance might be the one least expected.

I worried when I asked God for a sign in my life about a life altering decision I had to make, but felt encouraged when I read Gideon’s plea for not one but two signs from the Lord. And he had even had the privilege of being visited by the angel of the Lord. My belief that Gideon’s request for signs had to do with his doubts about his own worthiness and was not a sign of his lack of trust in God was reinforced by a lesson from our senior teacher and helped me recover from my own doubts.

Here I was finding life application in what I had previously thought of as difficult tales of mayhem and just plain stupidity.
Hebrews 4:16 (New King James Version)
16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Today I was reminded of the many “gentle reprimands” that God has given me over the years and I bow in humility. I find myself not wondering how the Israelites, who didn’t have the Word in print, audio, video and cyberspace could be led astray; but how I, with all of these advantages, still fall short of the mark. Talk about “Life Application!”

I come boldly, and humbly, to the throne of grace knowing that it is only God’s grace and mercy that sustains me.

I knew, when we were given this assignment to stay prayerfully in the Book of Judges, that the assignment would provide both inspiration and real world application; but I had no idea how powerfully this study would touch my soul.

I will continue my study looking for, expecting, spiritual gifts with the effort. It is my prayer that you will re-read this powerful book and profit from the blessings it holds.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment