Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sunday Morning Christians

Sunday Morning Christians

My best friend and I used to go to her church on Sunday morning (during that period in my life when I knew that “organized religion” was not for me), enjoy the service, especially the choir; and voila!! Our duty to God was fulfilled!!

We gave God a total of 2 hours and were impatient with anyone who was “too longwinded” and exceeded our time allotment.

We then went on with our lives. We played cards for hours, sometimes all night. We enjoyed the clubs and dances where the routine was usually 10 or 11pm till 2 am. We held or attended dinner parties which ran a leisurely 3-4 hours. And we still had more time for activities.

We were truly Sunday Morning Christians.

Now, my friend and I were not bad people. We worked hard, were honest and were charitable and caring. We both identified ourselves as Christian, Protestant to be specific and would have been very annoyed with anyone who suggested that we might spend eternity in hell..

Folk who spent more time in church or talked about church and God were quietly avoided as “overly religious” or “fanatics”. We carefully never said a bad word about them, just stayed out of their way.
Then a series of events began to change my life.

I look back at those days and smile as I thank God for His patience, grace and mercy. I thank God that somebody prayed for me all of the years that I was wandering in the darkness of my own foolish intellectualizing and judging.

I thank God .

2 Peter 1
2Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.
3His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
4Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.


My friend stopped talking to me years ago. There was a gradual process of expanding time between calls and calls unreturned. Then one day it dawned on me.

I had become one of those people who were quietly avoided.

Now, I won’t tell you that I don’t miss my friend. We were seldom seen apart outside of work and she was an important part of my life.

But I am so grateful that I was called by God’s own glory and goodness and am the recipient of His great and precious promises.

10Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall,
11and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

How different my life is now that I am no longer a Sunday Morning Christian. How wonderful to be within the glow of a peace beyond all understanding. How comforting to know that my salvation is secured.

How wonderful to greet you as an ex-Sunday Morning Christian.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment