Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Doing the Will of God

Agape one of several Greek words translated into English as love became particularly appropriated in Christian theology as the love of God or Christ for mankind. (pronounced /ˈæɡəpi span>ː and sometimes əˈɡɑːpeɪ after the Classical Greek agápē; Modern Greek: αγάπη [aˈɣapi]).

Many have thought that this word represents ">divine, unconditional, self-sacrificing, active, volitional, and thoughtful love.
Matthew 22:36-40 (New King James Version)
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”
37 Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

I struggle to do the will of God. I struggle to be a Christian worthy of the name.

It sounds so simple, this great Commandment. It should be easy, God isn’t asking a lot. He took us from 613 laws to two, and still I struggle.

The struggle is not in the outward things. I have no trouble doing the mission work that is a part of my work in the church. I have no trouble with any assignment that my pastor gives, pride doesn’t well up and make me feel that sweeping is less of a service than writing. In these outward things love is easy.
Matthew 5:43-48 (New King James Version) Love Your Enemies
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’
44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,
45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?
47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?
48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Asking blessings from God for anyone is easy. I pride myself on the knowledge that I “wouldn’t walk across the street to do evil even to an enemy.” I have a special prayer for people who deliberately do me wrong. And yet I know that I am far from the mark.
All my heart to Him I give, ever to Him I’ll cling,
In His blessed presence live, ever His praises sing,
Love so mighty and so true, merits my soul’s best songs,
Faithful, loving service, too, to Him belongs.

It is with the heart that I still struggle. It is the knowledge that I practice avoidance much more often than love. It is the knowledge that “doing no evil” is not the same thing as offering love.
Ephesians 4:29-32 (New International Version, ©2011)
29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.
32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

As I grow in the Lord I find that I am less satisfied with just doing “O.K.” As I pray and study I find myself striving to be closer to what God commands of me.
Philippians 3:12-16 (Contemporary English Version)
12I have not yet reached my goal, and I am not perfect. But Christ has taken hold of me. So I keep on running and struggling to take hold of the prize.
13My friends, I don't feel that I have already arrived. But I forget what is behind, and I struggle for what is ahead.
14I run toward the goal, so that I can win the prize of being called to heaven. This is the prize that God offers because of what Christ Jesus has done.
15All of us who are mature should think in this same way. And if any of you think differently, God will make it clear to you.
16But we must keep going in the direction that we are now headed.


Refrain:
Love lifted me!
Love lifted me!
When nothing else could help,
Love lifted me!
This second stanza of this old hymn speaks volumes to my soul. I struggle to be all that my God commands.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment