Friday, February 4, 2011

Praise for the Gift of the Holy Spirit

Praise for the Gift of the Holy Spirit
O God, send forth your Holy Spirit into my heart that I may perceive, into my mind that I may remember, and into my soul that I may meditate. Inspire me to speak with piety, holiness, tenderness and mercy. Teach, guide and direct my thoughts and senses from beginning to end. May your grace ever help and correct me, and may I be strengthened now with wisdom from on high, for the sake of your infinite mercy. Amen.
John 14:16-17 (New International Version, ©2010)
16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—
17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

I love to read about the Holy Spirit. I have been blessed to find many wonderful articles and sermons about the Holy Spirit from many sources written over a great span of time.

One beautiful source is from a church with a wonderful, inspiring logo:
"If you believe what the Bible teaches, attend a church that teaches the Bible!"
I am fortunate to attend a church which does just that!

Near the beginning of a wonderfully inspiring article about the Holy Spirit Minister Brown states: “In Apostolic times He taught by both revelation and illumination. Since the completion of the New Testament His work is confined to illumination.”
One thing that strikes me today is that almost all of the writers and preachers that I have read to this point teach that the Holy Spirit was much more to the saints in New Testament times than now. My question is why!!?

Why do so many feel that God got put in a box of limitations as soon as the bible was put in written form? Have these ministers, scholars and teachers never experienced the joy, the absolute joy, still available in the Holy Spirit?

I am not a bible scholar. Even in my advancing years I remain an infant in the study of God’s word, but I have found nothing that tells me that my God is less available to me right now, this day, than He ever was to anyone else in history.

My Jesus said that the Comforter would be with us forever!!! And I believe Him.
Romans 8:26-27 (New King James Version)
26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which canrnot be uttered.
27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He rmakes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

I draw strength from the Holy Spirit who knows my very needs. I draw strength from the fact that I know that I have an intercessor with the Father all day, every day who never wearies and has infinite mercy.
Romans 8:14-16 (New International Version, ©2010)
14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.
15 The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”
16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.

I do cry Abba, Father. I do pray “Thank You for the gift of the Holy Spirit”, a gift that is not diminished to me, a child of God.
Ephesians 4:29-32 (New King James Version)
29 Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.
30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
31 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice.
32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.

It is my goal, with the help and guidance of the Holy Spirit, to be able to do just this.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment