Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Prayer for Discernment

Psalm 139:14 (New King James Version)
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.

I woke this morning with such an acute awareness of the presence of God. I woke in awe at the functioning of my parts. I am amazed at the fact that a brand new scripture and a brand new song are waiting at the edge of my awareness, waiting for me to tap a few keys on the computer and open a whole world of information.

I feel an urgency this morning to ask all of us who were born before computers were just a part of life to spend a lot of time praying for our children and grandchildren. Pray that they can experience the wonderful awe at the mysteries of God. Pray that they not get so caught up in the amount and ease of information that they lose sight of the Great Informer.
Proverbs 4:7 (New King James Version)
7 Wisdom is the principal thing;
Therefore get wisdom.
And in all your getting, get understanding.

I grew up in an age when no one had a personal computer at home, as a matter of fact there was no such creature as a personal computer.

My first computer class was with a computer which filled two rooms, received limited data and spit out punched cards on the other end. We marveled at the fact that we could feed these punched cards into a computer in another city and transfer knowledge. WOW!!!

This morning I sit at home with a “desk top” computer in my office and a “lap top” computer in my family room. (And please be mindful that I am far from being a rich person.)

I woke with the phrase “wonderfully made” in my heart and simply typed that phrase into the computer. I was presented with Results 1 - 10 of about 2,850,000 for “wonderfully made”.
In an instant, in the privacy of my home, I was offered 2,850,000 comments on the phrase “wonderfully made”!

That is knowledge.

This information was presented randomly with no judgment on what had value and what was trash. Finding scriptures that spoke of God’s purpose in this phrase and articles and sermons that enlightened my mind and lifted my spirit, well, that was God given wisdom. The gift of this wisdom is what we need to continuously seek for our children and grandchildren.

We need to pray every day that they not get lost in the sea of information available to them. We need to pray every day that all of our children be given a measure of the gift of discernment so that they will have weapons to guard their hearts and spirits in this fast paced world.
Acts 13:6-10 (King James Version)
6And when they had gone through the isle unto Paphos, they found a certain sorcerer, a false prophet, a Jew, whose name was Barjesus:
7Which was with the deputy of the country, Sergius Paulus, a prudent man; who called for Barnabas and Saul, and desired to hear the word of God.
8But Elymas the sorcerer (for so is his name by interpretation) withstood them, seeking to turn away the deputy from the faith.
9Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him.
10And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?

This is wisdom

We need to continuously remind our children that they have a guide book, the bible, in which they can turn for answers, encouragement and truth.

I am amazed each morning when I wake and realize that God has placed a word, a phrase, a song or a scripture on my heart. (At least that is true every morning that I have not allowed myself to get caught up in something outside His will.)
I know to search my spirit, seek that which is contrary to Him and pray forgiveness when I wake in a state of void and hear nothing, for the Holy Spirit truly will not be a part of confusion.
Proverbs 4:23 (New International Version, ©2010)
23 Above all else, guard your heart,
for everything you do flows from it.

It is our privilege to pray for the hearts and souls of the next generations.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment