Thursday, August 26, 2010

Have mercy on me, O God,

Have mercy on me, O God,

James 1 (New International Version)
2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,
3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.
4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.


It can be so difficult to find your joy when you feel pressed down by the world. It is difficult to persevere when you feel that everything is being taken from you. You can become impatient with folks who seem to have everything talking to you about how you need to have faith when you feel as if you are sinking in a pit.

Then you look to God for comfort and pray seriously for the peace of the Holy Spirit. But, what happens when what you are shown by the Holy Spirit convicts instead of comforts? Can you accept that there is penitence to be done? Can you accept that there are changes you must make in your thinking and behavior before you are prepared for the blessings of God?

None of us wants to deal with “the morning after” when we must pay for the revelries of the night before. We don’t want to have a tummy ache when we have overindulged in rich foods. We don’t want to feel dragged out when we have skipped a good night’s sleep.

How then do we get angry with God and feel abandoned when we are called to pay for years of bad judgment? Can we pray for the strength to go through the process of fixing our past mistakes instead of just sliding around them? Can we pray for guidance and wisdom to correct past wrongs? Can we cry “Lord, have mercy” and be prepared to run the course as the Lord sees fit?


Psalm 51 (New International Version)
1 Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion
blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash away all my iniquity
and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is always before me.
4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you are proved right when you speak
and justified when you judge.
5 Surely I was sinful at birth,
sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
6 Surely you desire truth in the inner parts ;
you teach me wisdom in the inmost place.
7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
8 Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
9 Hide your face from my sins
and blot out all my iniquity.
10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will turn back to you.
14 Save me from bloodguilt, O God,
the God who saves me,
and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
15 O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth will declare your praise.
16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart,
O God, you will not despise.
18 In your good pleasure make Zion prosper;
build up the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then there will be righteous sacrifices,
whole burnt offerings to delight you;
then bulls will be offered on your altar
.

Lord, we seek guidance as we travel this road. We do ask grace and mercy. We do pray that the load be lightened, but we accept your will.

We come as the psalmist, David, acknowledging our shortcomings and praying your great compassion.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment