Friday, August 20, 2010

Strength to share the Word of God

Matthew 28:16-19 (New International Version)
The Great Commission
16Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go.
17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted.
18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Jonah 1 (New International Version)
Jonah Flees From the LORD
1 The word of the LORD came to Jonah son of Amittai:
2 "Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me."
3 But Jonah ran away from the LORD and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the LORD.

I belong to a church with a serious commitment to The Great Commission. We are very small but almost every member is actively involved in at least two mission works, most in more.

As part of my work, I am exposed to many protests against those of us who feel compelled to spread the gospel. There are web sites manned by other religious beliefs and by those whose belief is to claim no belief at all which bitterly protest the spread of the Word.

Even within the folds of Christianity there are interpretative rifts which divide us.

I battle within myself between my obligation to follow the mandates of Christ to “go and make disciples of all nations” and my frustration when rebuffed and criticized for my belief.
I am very happy to stay within the comfort zone of fellowship with other believers. I love spending time with folks who already have a genuine love of God. We study together. We delight in talking about scripture, our Sunday school lessons, our morning devotions and the many little “ah hah moments” when a truth is revealed to us.

But I am mindful that I must not be like Jonah who decided that he knew who was good enough to receive God’s word. I must not run from this assignment, even in the face of adversity.

Mark 2:17 (New International Version)
17On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Then, I must be willing to find ways to spread the good news. I must take responsibility for finding ways that don’t chase people away to open doors, to encourage a relationship with God.

I must always remember that someone chose to pray for me for years without passing judgment. I must pray diligently that God bless me with a word of encouragement for someone each day.

Matthew 5:14-16 (New International Version)
14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.
15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.
16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

I must live my life in such a way that those around me see something not of this world in me and, hopefully want to experience the joy they see in my walk with God.

Romans 1:16-17 (New International Version)
16I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
17For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."

Father, God, I thank you for work to do in the kingdom. I pray your strength everyday. I thank you for the comfort of the Holy Spirit as I try to always stay in Your will. I ask your blessings for everyone who is working in your will. I am truly not ashamed of the gospel.

Father, I speak a word of encouragement to everyone who is studying and trying to come into an understanding of your way.

Thank You, God.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment