Thursday, February 23, 2012

Borrowed Blessings

Genesis 12:1-3
New King James Version (NKJV)
Promises to Abram
12 Now the Lord had said to Abram:
“Get out of your country,
From your family
And from your father’s house,
To a land that I will show you.
2 I will make you a great nation;
I will bless you
And make your name great;
And you shall be a blessing.
3 I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”

It is a joy when someone asks me to pray for them. I feel that they recognize that I love God and I feel it a privilege to go to him in prayer.
James 5:16
New International Version (NIV)
16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

I, first, pray for myself that I can reach toward the life that God intends for me. I pray help with my shortcomings. I pray praise for his eternal grace and mercy. I pray that I may be fit to come before him on behalf of myself and others.

I pray thanks for the gift of the Comforter and gratitude for His intercession in my life and for my spiritual life.

I feel that a request for prayer is an opportunity to bring a person before God asking first that their hearts are touched with a desire to be in His will then that he meet the desires of their hearts. The beautiful prayer by Paul on behalf of the Church at Colossae is a wonderful example of this kind of intercessory prayer:
Colossians 1:9-12
King James Version (KJV)
9For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
10That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;
11Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;
12Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

From the first covenant with Abraham through the New Testament promises of Christ Jesus to the present we are admonished to share our blessings as Children of the Living God. One way that we do this is through intercessory prayer.
Malachi 3:10
New King James Version (NKJV)
10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,
That there may be food in My house,
And try Me now in this,”
Says the Lord of hosts,
“If I will not open for you the windows of heaven
And pour out for you such blessing
That there will not be room enough to receive it.

Why would we need such a blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it if not to share in the bounty of our Lord?
Luke 6:38
New King James Version (NKJV)
38 Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”

I gladly give my prayers knowing that I am also the recipient of many prayers. I gladly pray for others with the hope that their “Borrowed Blessings” will be the light that leads to or strengthens them in the love of God.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment