Friday, February 10, 2012

Preparing to Abound

Philippians 4:12 New International Version (NIV)12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

Many Christians hesitate to go to God with big requests because there still lingers a bit of embarrassment at looking greedy and a fear of being the young rich man whose riches stood between him and the possibility of salvation. (Matthew 19:16-30)
Much of my early church education revolved around warnings about the things of the world, money, lust, pride, and the snares that were around every corner.

My memories of the many sermons on Philippians 4:12 were focused on Paul's joy in praising God even in the midst of adversity. I don't remember one sermon on his ability to shine in the middle of plenty. That part was quickly skipped over.

Yet, scripture encourages us to reach for the stars in our relationship with God.

In Matthew 7:7 -11; Matthew 18:19; Matthew 21:22; Luke 11:9-13; 1 John 3:22; Philippians 4:6; James 1:5; 1 John 3:22 and many others we are encouraged to go boldly to the Lord with our requests. I don't believe we would have received so many encouragements to ask if there was inherent danger in the asking.

I have witnessed some incredible answered prayers of others. I have witnessed my own answered prayers, yet I still hesitate to step out boldly and pray for “big things” because of ingrained fear that doesn't even have a name.

I have decided to step out boldly and ask my hearts desires. I have decided to prepare myself to truly be content even if I end up living in plenty. I am prayerfully preparing to live with “the brimming cup of mortal joy”.

Father, God, I pray the guidance of the Holy Spirit as I reach out to expand my territory in all ways that You see fit. I thank You for all that You do. Amen.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment