Thursday, February 2, 2012

Opportunities

38But he, being full of compassion, forgave their iniquity, and destroyed them not: yea, many a time turned he his anger away, and did not stir up all his wrath.
39For he remembered that they were but flesh; a wind that passeth away, and cometh not again. Psalm 78:38-39
Occasionally our Pastor will ask that we focus on a particular writer or area of the Bible for a week. This past week we were assigned to read all of the Psalms of Asaph and as much as we could find on his life.
One of the outstanding things about the Psalms of Asaph was his cry out to God for deliverance of His chosen people after a time when they had strayed far from him. This led to a search of articles by folks who identified themselves as “Cultural Jews”, those Jews who no longer identify spiritually or believe in God. As I read their comments and their chosen place in this modern world it was easier to understand the spiritual detours of Asaph's time.

Nothing has changed. We have our modern miracles of deliverance;Deliverances that are a part of near history and really no less spectacular than the parting of the Red Sea, so it is easy to see a parallel with biblical history.

The Bible offers opportunities to live a better life today. We have so many examples that we can draw on as guides and reminders. I remembered the patience of God with the Israelites, past and present and His patience with me personally during the times in my life when I was a Christian in name only. Like many whose stories I read this morning, I participated in some Christian “rituals”, enjoyed the feasts and celebrations and, if anyone asked, I identified myself as “Christian”, but my belief in God was shaky at best.
38But he, being full of compassion, forgave their iniquity, and destroyed them not: yea, many a time turned he his anger away, and did not stir up all his wrath.

I think the greatest lesson for me so far in my study of Asaph is a growing sense of humility and gratitude to God for His continued mercy. I have increased humility because I identify with the children of Israel who seemed too stupid to get it despite all that God did for them when I think of the stupidity of someone reared in the church and taught about God from an early age who got sophisticated worldly and stupid enough to doubt His reality.

I have a great sense of gratitude to God as I witness His mercy and compassion on a personal level. I freely share that it is God's unbelievable grace that I was given so many opportunities to hear and believe.
11But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.
12So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels. Psalm 81
I pray that all who read this will search their hearts and take advantage of His compassion and mercy.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment