Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What's in a Name?

"I persecuted this Way to the death, binding and delivering to Prison both men and women, as the high priest and the whole council of elders bear me witness. From them I received letters to the brethren, and I journeyed to Damascus to take those also who were there and bring them in bonds to Jerusalem to be punished ... And when the blood of Stephen thy witness was shed, I also was standing by and approving, and keeping the garments of those who killed him.'" Acts 22:4-5,20 RSV
I met a young man named Stephen this morning. He was in my home to provide a service, but there was something about this young man that transcended his chosen profession. Some people just bring a light with them when they enter your space; something about them that touches your spirit even though you can't quite put your finger on it. Stephen is such a man.

I found an opportunity to ask him the history of his name in his family. The reason he got the name had nothing to do with biblical origins but listening closely I heard that someone at some time understood about the Martyr, Stephen.

He shared that he had been encouraged to treasure the fact that he had the “right spelling of the name”, Stephen, and disclosed his knowledge of the biblical Stephen, the first known Christian martyr.

"Now in these days when the disciples were increasing in number, the Hellenists murmured against the Hebrews because their widows were neglected in the daily distribution. And the twelve summoned the body of the disciples and said, "It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. Therefore, brethren, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may appoint to this duty. But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word." And what they said pleased the whole multitude, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch " Acts 6:1-5.
In my prayers this morning I asked God to put at least one person in my path to whom I could minister in some small way. Instead He chose to send someone who could minister to me with just his presence.

This young man is going to be a father this year. It is my prayer that his child be bountifully blessed his entire life and that Stephen will be a father “full of faith and of the Holy Spirit."
"And Stephen, full of grace and power, did great wonders and signs among the people" Acts 6:8 RSV
May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment