Friday, February 17, 2012

The Natural Order of Things

Philippians 4:12-13
New King James Version (NKJV)
12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Sometimes we need reminders to be a little patient with ourselves. One came to me today as a part of my morning devotion routine. I love to read the words of Charles Spurgeon. I often find just the word I need in his “Morning and Evening” series.

This morning was one of those times.

I get very impatient with myself because I still fall so very short of the person I want to be in the Lord. I have so many human frailties and no matter how hard I pray I find myself slipping into old habits too easily.

Oh, how I know how to get angry, especially over hurt feelings; how easily I can personalize even the slightest affront; and that old monster, worry, how easily he can slip in and take root.
Philippians 4:11
New International Version (NIV)
11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

Contentment, a gift freely given by God, is a gift that is often very hard to hold on to. Then the cycle begins. How ungrateful we feel when we are not duly content in the midst of God's generous blessings. And how this further erodes our ability to be truly content.

A re-read of verse 12 and we see “I have learned”. This contentment was learned!

I, too, can learn to be content. I am already grateful for all that God is and does. I can stop the cycle by acknowledging that I am learning to be all that He would have me to be.

I would like to share here an analogy presented by Charles Spurgeon.
….contentment is not a natural propensity of man. "Ill weeds grow apace." Covetousness, discontent, and murmuring are as natural to man as thorns are to the soil. We need not sow thistles and brambles; they come up naturally enough, because they are indigenous to earth: and so, we need not teach men to complain; they complain fast enough without any education. But the precious things of the earth must be cultivated.

As I learn to be content in all things I will continue to cultivate an appreciation of the goodness of God. I will not let my journey of growth be sidetracked (at least not too long) by discontent at my imperfections.
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I am grateful for encouraging, comforting scriptures. I truly rejoice in the Lord; I bend my knee and humble my heart in prayer and petition, I come to God with thanksgiving, especially for His peace which transcends all understanding.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment