Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Body of Christ

The Body of Christ
2 Timothy 2:15 (King James Version)
15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

(Beginning today you may share this work with a friend simply by clicking a button on the bottom. I hope to learn more and more effective ways to present this work as we go along. This is all a part of the process of studying because we want everything we do for the kingdom to be worthy of approval.)

When my granddaughter and I saw the movie “The Book of Eli” she asked if it were possible for someone to remember the entire bible. I know two women who can almost quote the bible verbatim. These are women who have truly studied and I know that, if God placed it on their hearts to do this, they would be able to quote the bible verbatim.

That is not my gift .

It may not be yours.

1 Corinthians 12:12-20 (New International Version)
12The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ.
13For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

14Now the body is not made up of one part but of many.
15If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body.
16And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body.
17If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?

18But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be.
19If they were all one part, where would the body be?
20As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

But I don’t believe it diminishes our gifts in any way. We must each find the role within the body that God has assigned to us. We must find our role and pursue it with diligence.

Ephesians 4
Unity in the Body of Christ
1As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.
2Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
3Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
4There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called—
5one Lord, one faith, one baptism;
6one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

My dad was accustomed to saying “Sweetie, if you plan to be a ditch digger, plan to be the best ditch digger on the planet”. As parts of the Body of Christ, be we ears, toes, arms or nose, we must plan to be the best part of the body that is within our reach.

14Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming.
15Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ.
16From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

I believe the easiest way to accomplish this is to give it over to God in prayer and to be wiling to follow as He leads. Asking God daily “What would You have me to do? Then being willing to put the time in to prepare for the work seems to be the way.

Ephesians 1:22-23 (New International Version)
22And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church,
23which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.

I thank you, Lord, for allowing me to be a member of the body. I thank You, Lord, for giving me work to do as a member of the body I ask that You keep my mind clear and focused on You.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment