Thursday, July 15, 2010

Worship God, focusing on Him

Worship God, focusing on Him

John 4:24 (New International Version)
24God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."

This morning was spent looking at the topic “One Nation Under God”, a topic that seems to be splitting our nation apart at this time. What I read, both the advocates and the opponents of acknowledging God in any way in public life, was the source of my troubled spirit today.

As I reviewed some of the current news on the subject of separation of church and state I kept coming back to the phrase, Worship God, focusing on Him. I realize that the issue of church and state is not a place where I can have an impact at this time and may not be where God wants my energy today so I gladly return to the peace and instruction of the scriptures.

I want to spend this morning in true worship of God. I want to worship in spirit and in truth.

“Worshipping God "in spirit" means with reverence, attentiveness, and having the right purpose of honoring God, while understanding what we are doing.” http://www.netbiblestudy.net/worship/lesson_2.htm

Hebrews 12:28-29 "Let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. For our God is a consuming fire."

1 Corinthians 6:20 "For you were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s."

Worshiping in spirit and in truth means letting go of some of the garbage I brought with me this morning. Worshipping in truth means acknowledging the anger and unforgiving attitude I still had when I sat here, asking God’s forgiveness first then asking His help in seeking peace with my sisters in Christ.

When my soul is troubled I find great comfort in the Psalms. David, and other writers of the Psalms truly had a handle on praising God, seeking his blessings and acknowledging their shortcomings.

Psalm 119:65-72 (New International Version)
65 Do good to your servant
according to your word, O LORD.
66 Teach me knowledge and good judgment,
for I believe in your commands.
67 Before I was afflicted I went astray,
but now I obey your word.
68 You are good, and what you do is good;
teach me your decrees.

God did not give me these verses to just put in a blog and forget. I believe I was given specific scriptures because I needed them to strengthen my own walk and I pray that they may be of benefit for someone else.

I thank you, God, for all you are in my life. I thank you, God, for your patience as I try to grow in your way. I thank you, God, for the guidance in your word, the comfort in your word and even for continuing gentle reprimands.

As my dear friend says “God is not finished with me yet”, and I say “thank God”.

1 Corinthians 14:33 (New King James Version)
33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

God is Jehovah-shalom. This name means “the God of peace.” I must remember this whenever I become a part of confusion. My God is not the author of confusion, He is the God of peace.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment