Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Gift of Sleep

Isaiah 40:28-31 (New King James Version)
28 Have you not known?
Have you not heard?
The everlasting God, the LORD,
The Creator of the ends of the earth,
Neither faints nor is weary.
His understanding is unsearchable.
29 He gives power to the weak,
And to those who have no might He increases strength.
30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary,
And the young men shall utterly fall,
31 But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.

How can we run and not be weary, walk and not faint unless we place our trust in God and are renewed by the restful sleep that only He can provide?

Psalm 127 (New International Version)
A song of ascents. Of Solomon.
1 Unless the LORD builds the house,
its builders labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city,
the watchmen stand guard in vain.
2 In vain you rise early
and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat—
for he grants sleep to those he loves.

If you have never suffered from insomnia you might not know the precious value of sleep. Peaceful sleep is truly a gift from God. Sleep that is without worry, without tossing and turning; sleep that refreshes and renews readying you to enjoy the blessing of a new day is truly more precious than gold.

Here I go again to the Psalms. David had a good understanding of the things that got in the way of the blessing of sleep as well as the way to return and capture this gift from God.

Psalm 4:8 (New International Version)
8 I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety.

I found this wonderfully simple prayer of comfort which I wish to share.

“Dear Lord,
I need you now because I am full of stress and anxiety. Reading your Word brings comfort, as I ask you to come and take my heavy burdens. I take each burden, one by one, and lay them at your feet. Please carry them for me so that I don't have to. Replace them with your humble and gentle yoke so that I will find rest for my soul today. I receive your gift of peace of mind and heart. Thank you that I can lie down tonight in peace and sleep. I know that you, Lord, will keep me safe. I am not afraid because you are always with me. Please keep me daily, Lord, in your perfect peace.
Amen” http://christianity.about.com/od/prayersforspecificneeds/a/stressanxiety.htm


Matthew 11:28-30 (New International Version)
28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

I invite you to accept this wonderful gift, freely given by our Lord.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment