Monday, July 5, 2010

God is Holy

12.God is Holy. God’s holiness is not simply the best we know made infinitely better. God is absolutely untainted. His holiness stands apart—unique and incomprehensible. http://www.allaboutgod.com/names-of-god.htm

Psalm 145:17
The Lord is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works.
I John 1:5
This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
Psalm 98:1
O sing unto the Lord a new song; for he hath done marvelous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.
I Samuel 2:2
There is none holy as the Lord: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.
Isaiah 6:3
And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.

Main Entry: ho·ly 
Pronunciation: \ˈhō-lē\
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): ho·li·er; ho·li·est
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English hālig; akin to Old English hāl whole — more at whole
Date: before 12th century
1 : exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness
2 : divine http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/holy


I think that everyone who believes in God believes that He is holy. It would be difficult to worship God without reverence for His infinite goodness.

A problem comes in when we contemplate the fact that we are made in His image and we look at the sordidness of our condition. How can we be in the image of God, we who are so imperfect, we who have the capacity for such meanness in the world?

I Peter 1:16 - 25
Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

How do we follow God’s commandment to be holy?

Mark 1:15 (New International Version)
15"The time has come," he said. "The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!"

First, to repent of our sins. This means that we must admit that we are sinners, unable to save ourselves and come to God humbly and ask His forgiveness.

repent–verb (used without object)
1.
to feel sorry, self-reproachful, or contrite for past conduct; regret or be conscience-stricken about a past action, attitude, etc. (often fol. by of ): He repented after his thoughtless act.
2.
to feel such sorrow for sin or fault as to be disposed to change one's life for the better; be penitent. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/repent


Leviticus 11:44 For I am the LORD your God;
sanctify yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy.

Then, to believe on Jesus Christ, the Son of God and ask Him every day to help us to live lives worthy of Him.

Galatians 2:20 "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

No, we do not expect to reach perfection. None but God is perfect; but we do have an obligation to sincerely confess our Lord, believe in Him with all of our hearts for truly He has promised, not only salvation, but the blessing of a Comforter to help us to live as He commands.

Romans 10 (New International Version)
8But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming:
9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Holy Father, I thank You for the gift of the Holy Spirit. I seek daily guidance as I try to live the life You would have me to live. I thank You for the promise of salvation. I thank You for Your Darling Son, Jesus, and His sacrifice on the cross. I pray that You help me to be all that I can in the Kingdom.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment