Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Going Vertical

Going Vertical

Exodus 20:2-20 (New King James Version)
2 “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.

This is a very straight forward commandment. We are to put nothing ahead of God.

There are so many reasons to go to church. I remember the un-named hunger I felt that drew me to the House of The Lord. At the beginning I was like a hungry child, at the table crying “feed me”.

I still enjoy the fellowship. I feel blessed to be a part of a church with effective prayer warriors. I love the teaching so much. I love being a part of so many outreach ministries.

But as I grow in Christ I realize more and more how horizontal my spiritual life had become. My quest now is to attend to the vertical beam of my cross. I am making a conscious effort to truly “put God first in my life“

I want God to have the first hour of my day.
Matthew 6:33 (New International Version)
33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

I want to give Him the first hour in prayer, praise, thanksgiving and worship.
Ps 119: 147-148 I rise before the dawning of the morning and cry for help; I hope in Your Word. My eyes are awake through the night watches that I might meditate on Your Word.

I want to give Him the first of my income.
Malachi 3
10Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the LORD of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need.

I found this wonderful acrostic that might provide inspiration for us as we strive to truly put God first.


F.I.R.S.T.
“F” stands for Focus.
Spend serious time reading Bible verses that talk about who He is and you will be filled with a sense of wonder and trust.

“I” stands for Identify.
I identify what purpose God has for you. What spiritual gift(s) has God given you that you are to use to serve in His spiritual kingdom right here and now.

“R” stands for respect.
We should respect God’s timetable. He is ultimately in control and He has a plan. As we pray and as we live we are to be mindful that our plans will always superseded by His plans.

“S” stands for serve others.
Serving other people is some capacity is an excellent way of taking our attention off ourselves and placing it on others. Jesus came to the earth to serve and not to be served. In serving others we are living the life he would live.

“T” stands for telling others.
When we tell others about what happens when we put God first it encourages others to do the same. http://livesmart.wordpress.com/2007/06/09/how-to-put-god-first/

At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away,
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!

This happiness that I receive is the horizontal beam of my cross, the part that fills me.

Putting God first is my vertical beam, the beam that brings me ever closer to God.

May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment