Monday, June 7, 2010

An Invitation to Abundant Life

Isaiah 55:1-6 (New King James Version)
An Invitation to Abundant Life
1 “Ho! Everyone who thirsts,
Come to the waters;
And you who have no money,
Come, buy and eat.
Yes, come, buy wine and milk
Without money and without price.
2 Why do you spend money for what is not bread,
And your wages for what does not satisfy?
Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good,
And let your soul delight itself in abundance.
3 Incline your ear, and come to Me.
Hear, and your soul shall live;
And I will make an everlasting covenant with you—
The sure mercies of David.
4 Indeed I have given him as a witness to the people,
A leader and commander for the people.
5 Surely you shall call a nation you do not know,
And nations who do not know you shall run to you,
Because of the LORD your God,
And the Holy One of Israel;
For He has glorified you.”
6 Seek the LORD while He may be found,
Call upon Him while He is near.

I am so familiar with the concept of hungering after God. I truly remember the unrest I felt when I was not being spiritually fed.

I went to church. I served the church as a volunteer in the kitchen. I worked with the education department. I was starving to death spiritually.

I knew something was wrong, but had no idea what it was.

Then one day my then pastor made an off-handed remark within my hearing. He said “This isn’t a restaurant, you don’t come here to get fed”. I know that he had no idea of the impact that statement had on my spirit, because I was so hungry and I so desperately needed to be fed!

His statement did lead me on a quest to find what was missing, a quest to find and sit at the table of life.

1 “Ho! Everyone who thirsts,
Come to the waters;

God is so merciful. He gives us an open invitation to come and enjoy His bounty.

And you who have no money,
Come, buy and eat.
Yes, come, buy wine and milk
Without money and without price.

We are reminded that we are saved by grace. That we have absolutely no ability buy our salvation by money or by works.

2 Why do you spend money for what is not bread,
And your wages for what does not satisfy?
Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good,
And let your soul delight itself in abundance.


Our time is our spiritual money. The way we spend our time lets us know what is important to us. We must spend our first fruits on what is bread and does satisfy.

3 Incline your ear, and come to Me.
Hear, and your soul shall live;

Romans 10 (New International Version)
13for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
14How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

It is also beautiful and refreshing to be the receiver of the good news.

It means so much to be well fed at the bountiful table of God!

Psalm 34:8 (New International Version)
8 Taste and see that the LORD is good;
blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.

I do feel blessed.

Now, I find myself like a spoiled child asking for more. I want more of the peace of God. I want more of the gifts of the Spirit. I want to be spiritually fed. I come to the table.


May God Forever Be a Blessing in Your Life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment